Spicy Sauteed Eggplant and Zucchini Recipe
Eggplants always throw me for a loop.
I threw this together based on my trepidation around the eggplant and the other veg I got in my farm share that day, and it turned out great. This could be served on its own, over some spaghetti squash or with some crackers as an appetizer if you haven’t jumped on the grain-free train.
Feel free to switch out the zucchini and summer squash with the veggies of your choice; most likely whatever you have kicking around in your fridge will work.
Sauteed Eggplant and Zucchini Recipe
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into approx. 4-inch cubes
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 12 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 TB hot paprika
- 1/2 TSP tumeric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Chopped basil, to taste
- Salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
-Season eggplant with salt and pepper and set aside.
– Heat half of oil over medium heat, add garlic and cook until soft, not brown.
– Add eggplant and cook until slightly soft and browning, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
– Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
– Add tomato sauce, paprika, turmeric and diced tomatoes, scrapping burnt bits at the bottom of the pan.
– Bring to a boil; add eggplant and reduce heat to low.
– Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
– Stir in chopped basil and serve.
Need more yummy summer veggie dishes?