Raw Kale and Avocado Salad Recipe
Maybe it’s the new-found summer days, but I’ve been on a bit of a salad kick lately. They are easy, light and don’t require any heat; it’s too hot to cook.
While I loved kale cooked or crispy, it’s also one of my favorite salad bases. Your missing out if you aren’t enjoying it raw — which is also the form in which it delivers the most nutritional value. Bring on the vitamins.
While I keep this really simple with only a few ingredients, feel free to throw some nuts, extra veggies or berries in if you wish. I recently served this with Citrus-Marinated Pork and the combination was delicious. Enjoy!
Paleo Raw Kale and Avocado Salad Recipe
- 4 cups lacinato or “dinosaur” kale, cleaned, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 2 lemons
- 2 TB coconut oil, melted if in solid form
- 1 TB all-natural agave syrup
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
– Squeeze juice of 1 lemon over kale, add salt and pepper and massage kale for about 10 minutes until it begins to wilt; set aside.
– In a separate bowl combine juice of remaining lemon, agave and coconut oil; set aside.
– Add minced onion, tomato and arugula to kale.
– Add lemon/agave/oil mixture and toss to coat.
– Add avocado and toss gently to combine.
– Serve immediately. Yum!